Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Ready or not, here comes baby…


Is she going to like her new baby sister? Will she kick/bite/hit/suffocate the new baby? Will she think Mommy loves her less now that there is a new baby?  These are all questions we 2nd time mommies ask ourselves on the eve of our new baby’s arrival.  And the answer only becomes apparent when that new baby enters our life. 

Zoe was 15 months old when we found out I was pregnant with our 2nd child.  Instantly I wondered how Zoe would feel about our new addition?  Because I am a stay-at-home Mommy, Zoe has had a lot of me, all of the time.  I am there to pick her up out of her crib, read her books, wipe her face, kiss her booboos, have tea parties, and rock and sing to her until she falls asleep.  Would I still be able to do all this with a new baby clinging to my boob all day?  In retrospect, it was more my fears poking through then Zoe’s. Even though we would have bet the farm that Zoe would HATE her new sister, we were absolutely wrong.  When Nana brought Zoe into the hospital room for the first time to meet her sister, she was in love.  It was like she instantly knew that our baby belonged in our family.  And, she has not stopped loving her since.  When I say “loving her,” I mean literally, I have to pry Zoe off of her because she wants to kiss and hug her all day.  She wakes up asking for “Kai” (her nickname for Kaia), Kaia is the first one to get a kiss from Zoe in the morning and the last one to get one (and sometimes 10) before bed, Zoe “reminds” me to get “Kai” when we are leaving the house or getting out of the car.  She wipes her mouth during meals and makes sure I am well aware when Kaia is not happy. This little Tasmanian Devil of mine is like a little Mommy…gentle, loving, concerned.  What a wonderful surprise.  Oh and I still am able to pick her up out of her crib, read her books, wipe her face, kiss her booboos, have tea parties, and rock and sing to her until she falls asleep…all with a baby hanging on my boob all day!

Mommy tips to help your toddler have a smooth transition while welcoming new baby:
(1) Check your expectations at the door.  These little people can be very surprising, so give them the benefit of the doubt!
(2) Lead by example! Show your toddler how to treat the new baby and they will be less likely to try to put a pillow over baby’s face while baby sleep so peacefully in the swing.
(3) Make sure, if ever asked, each and every one of your children would say that they are your “favorite!”
(4) Love unconditionally…always.

No comments:

Post a Comment